Accéder au contenu principal

Eureka !


We all know the story of Archimedes who shouted out loud:
 Eureka! i.e. I have found (it) !
The story says, it struck him when was relaxing in his bath, thinking about a hard problem related to the physics of fluids.
   
But why did he have to shout out ? Some say he, then, jumped out of his bath, naked, running in Syracuse’s streets like a fool or maybe an illuminated man?   Yeah, sure, he had found it, and then what? Was the emotion so great that he had to lose control?  From my little experience, I can tell you that the Eureka feeling is not something to diminish.  It may even be what is really driving Science, far more than all the money in the world or the most seductive partner.  I am talking for theoretical sciences, like mathematics, physics and philosophy.
    
I argue that the Eureka feeling is like a drug.  Man may feel in darkness when he is confused and it is a very uncomfortable position.  So, he looks for an exit,  his head heats up as the brain strives to get out of the unknown.  When, finally, the Eureka feeling comes, something ignites, somewhere, and it rapidly spreads through the neuronal network.  Then, a gentle breeze brushes the smoke screen that was in his head and an new world appear.  Psychologists commonly call it the cognitive ease feeling.  That's how I feel now and let me explain why.
  
Libéria (winter 2005)
I am attending a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) called "mathematical thinking" and  I solved many problems in the last 6 weeks.  It was all right for me because, it's a university entry level course and I have already been through most of the concepts.   Also, I had the occasion of refreshing my memories with one of the best mathematic teacher in the world, Keith Devlin from Stanford University.

So last week, was the final exam week.  I started early and I quickly answered all, but one question: number 7.   Question 7 tortured me (also with my consent)  for several days.  I scribbled attempts of answers, sometimes thinking they were true, but then proving the opposite.   
A few days before the deadline  I decided to change strategy.  I kept in mind the problem and I went for a walk.  I walked with my hands in the back, looking around the sky, or on the ground, like a detective looking for a clue.  When I came back home, I sat down, tried question 7 again, but still, no results.  So, I scouted the class's forum for insights and found a URL to an easy solution (or so they said).  Hopefully, I resisted the temptation to read it: resolving the problem was the core of the course ; and I thought that "posting a known wrong proof was more honourable than an unknown truth".  My eyebrows were stuck in the frowning position for the rest of the day.
So how did I get the solution? Well, good question....  The night before the deadline, I was trying to sleep and, finally, I got it . It was waiting below my pillow.  Since, I am smiling, less tensed and happy. It's magic and I didn't take any drug, nor did I eat too much ivorian chocolate.   I feel Zen.   I suspect the Eureka effect to have altered my mind's chemicals.  It has been three days since my small discovery and I'm still sailing under a beautiful sky.  

Yes ! I a new world is shaping my horizon. A world where all mathematicians and truth lovers are adepts of an Eureka Gourou showing the Tao Te (道德).
  "Thinking hard and hardly thinking" is his motto.

sheers!


Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

La résistance contre l'occupation coloniale en Région forestière. Guinée 1800 -- 1930

De Jean-Marie Doré Dans le livre "La résistance contre l'occupation coloniale en Région forestière" de l'ex-premier ministre Guinéen Jean-Marie Doré nous rac onte les batailles, les ruses, les alliances , les tactiques et le courage déployés  par les peuples forestiers pour freiner l'invasion de leur territoire par les Français. Les premiers chapitres retracent l'histoire et les origines des peuples de la zone forestière.  Ainsi, les manon  seraient des descendants des Soumaoro Kanté qui perpétuèrent le prestige du grand roi forgeron malgré sa défaite contre Soundiata Ke ita . Les chapitres suivants montrent comment le Liberia a été incapable de jouer son rôle de nation indépendante  et soit disant favorable à la cause des africains.  La jeune nation  se déclare maître d'un immense territoire qui comprend toute la zone forestière.  Malheureusement, au lieu de traiter d'égal à égal avec les puissances européennes, le Liberia

La théorie des perspectives

Notes de lecture #26 de "Thinking fast and slow"  de Daniel Kahneman, 2011, chapitre 24, Partie 3   une tentation qui ne finira pas... C'est au cours de promenades régulières, dans les montagnes Suisses, que Daniel Kahneman et Amos Tversky élaborèrent la théorie des perspectives (marcher semble-t-il fait réfléchir).  Ils discutaient des conditions influençant la prise de risque.  En pensée, ils expérimentèrent plusieurs scénarii de prise de décisions. Ils se rendirent compte que lorsque l'enjeu du pari était présenté sous forme de gain, ils aimaient prendre plus de risque que nécessaire ; et au contraire, lorsque le même pari était énoncé en mettant en avant les pertes, ils prenaient rarement assez de risque. Une théorie en trois pas Ils modélisèrent la prise de décision en situation incertaine, celons les trois critères suivants: Un point de référence:   la perception d'un gain ou d'une perte se fait toujours par rapport à un point

L'erreur de Bernouilli

Notes de lecture #25 de "Thinking fast and slow"  de Daniel Kahneman, 2011, chapitre 24, Partie 3  Au début des années 70s, Amos Tversky   et  Daniel Kahneman commencèrent à s’intéresser aux hypothèses de la théorie économique. Ils reprirent le travail de Bruno Frey , un économiste Suisse, tout en ayant à l'esprit l'approche  psychophysique de  Gustav Fechner . Avec cette approche, ils étudièrent l'influence de la subjectivité (de la perception) sur la prise de décision économique car les résultats y sont mesurables et quantifiables. L'historique de la théorie de l'attente Au XVIIème siècle, un génie des maths que Voltaire trouvait peu philosophe mais très pieux, Daniel Bernoulli , développe la théorie de l'attente morale. Il est le premier à formaliser l'idée qu'une même quantité d'argent peut avoir de multiples utilités.  Il explique que  l'attente morale (notre perception de l'utilité de la monnaie) dépend de la